Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dolce and Gabbana Perfect Finish Powder Foundation





I had been curious about this powder foundation since I started using the Dolce and Gabbana cream foundation months ago but given the difficulties of finding the right color I didn't want to buy it without examining it in person first.  I stopped into Saks when I was in New York last month to get color matched and "Almond" turned out to be a perfect color for me.  It doesn't go on as orange as it looks in the pan, but imparts a healthy glow.  Love.

Click on photos to enlarge.



 

The powder section lifts to reveal sponge storage and another mirror.



It can be applied to dry or wet.  Both methods of application provide sheer to full coverage.  Dry application looks a little powdery at first but within 30 minutes or so settles into a natural look.  The wet application looks matte at first then looks natural within thirty minutes.   Dolce and Gabbana claims that these two applications provide very different looks – the dry application can provide a sheerer application than the wet, the wet application is supposed to be velvety -  but I can't tell the difference by mid-day.  Because I have oily skin, my face looks dewy either way.   

Still, this is one of my favorite foundations.  Both methods of application covered subtle discolorations, evening out my skin tone, and even covered a lighter shade of concealer.  Both applications are buildable and do not oxidize.  Why have I never tried powder foundations before?  (Well, actually, I have - turns out that the Jane Iredale compact product I've had for years turns out to be a powder foundation too!  I thought it was pressed powder.  Anyway…) The dry application with a brush is the fastest ever- speed and ease of application are requirements for my early morning routine.  I can’t wait to try it in the summer when my skin is super oily. 

I usually use Tatcha papers to blot oily bits after lunch.  Unlike some foundations that come off on the paper when blotting, this foundation stays put.  Though one could use it for touch ups during the day or for evening, I’ve found it really isn’t necessary, given the foundation’s lasting power. 

The Dolce and Gabbana Perfect Finish Powder Foundation sells for $59 at selected Saks stores and online.  The color chart on the Dolce and Gabbana site is better than the one on the Saks site, but I highly recommended getting color matched in person.  Check the Dolce and Gabbana sites for store locations.

Do you have a favorite powder foundation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...