Thursday, April 20, 2006

My New Fave: The Turkish Cast On

I've kept an eye open for instructions for the Turkish Cast On since Saun mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. I found them in the Fall 2005 Vogue Knitting. I admit that I only glanced at them, thought I understood them, and in my obsessive way, began to work it.

I used a figure eight cast on with 2 DPNs for my first Cirque du Sock and found it unwieldy. The DPNs were too close together and the stitches kept slipping off the bottom needle. Still, I thought using two circs would be even more difficult. As it turns out, using two circs for the cast on was actually easier.

First, I put a slip knot on the bottom needle, then wrapped both needles with the yarn 10 times. This will give you 10 stitches on bottom and top; I wanted a broader toe, but you could wrap 8 times for the traditional 8 stitches if you like:









I moved the bottom needle so that the center of the needle - the cable - hung from the loops. This prevents the loops from slipping off the needle and the curve of the needles provides space to knit the top loops:









Then I knit the loops on the top needle. I didn't work the slip knot because I didn't want a knot in my socks:



I turned the work, slipped the slipped knot off the needle, and knitted the loops on what was the bottom row:



After knitting both sides:










I was going to use Bogie's instructions for a rounder toe after I cast on, but had to improvise after discovering that her cast on instructions were quite different from mine (I'll try it later -after all, this isn't my last sock!). Instead, I positioned the needles as if to work in the usual circular fashion, then
1st through 7th row: kfb in the first stitch, knit across to the last stitch on first needle, kfb, repeat on second needle, you will have completed the first round.
8th row: knit one round
9th row: kfb in the first stitch, knit across to the last stitch on first needle, kfb, repeat on second needle
10th row: knit one round
11th row: kfb in the first stitch, knit across to the last stitch on first needle, kfb, repeat on second needle
12th row: knit one round
13th row: kfb in the first stitch, knit across to the last stitch on first needle, kfb, repeat on second needle
14th row: knit one round
15th row: knit one round
16th row: kfb in the first stitch, knit across to the last stitch on first needle, kfb, repeat on second needle

If you initially cast on 10 stitches, you should have 64 stitches after the end of the 16th row. Knit the foot.

Here's my progress so far:











The toe is less pointy and the increase more gently rounded than my first sock. I think it will be more comfortable.

Hope my instructions are clear.

9 comments:

  1. What a great looking toe! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tutorial is great...I will definitely have to try that.

    Thanks for commenting on my blog too. You mentioned the West Wing...I think Donna/Josh are good. The awkwardness suits the two characters. I am definitely sad that the show is coming to an end soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ava,you asked about my blog article on short row heels. The instructions were posted in the files section on Socknitters group on yahoo. It is called Priscilla's no wrap, no gap short row heel. It is availabe to all members and a great group to belong to. Hope this helps. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice tutorial! I am going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial! I'll have to try this on my next toe up pair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the clear and precise instructions and photos of
    your tutorial. As a knitting instructor, it is so nice when I get a lesson, for a change.

    I had heard about this cast on, but didn't have time to look it up.

    this is why I read blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tutorial. I definitely plan to use this cast on method for my next pair of toe-up socks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the tutorial. However, doesn't it throw you stitch count off when you drop the slip knot, as you're knitting the first round?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo, the excellent answer.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...