Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Spring Skin Care Regime: Jane Iredale's PurePressed® Base Mineral Foundation and Sun Screens



I've got my winter regime down:  I discovered that using cleansing oils and Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer for day and Josie Maran 100% argan oil at night seemed to control my skin's oil production.  No need to blot throughout the day.  I was so pleased with the results that I've decided to continue it.  Realizing that some liquid foundations can make oily skin look oilier in warmer weather, especially those that provide more coverage, I turned to my powder foundations.  Obvious, right?  Well, it took me a while...
 My current fave is Jane Iredale's PurePressed® Base Mineral Foundation.  I bought my compact at a resort four years ago after discovering that I'd forgotten to pack face powder.  Back then the box and description didn't contain the word "foundation," so I didn't realize that's what it was.  I thought it was just powder that matched my skin tone perfectly.  It's all scratched up from rattling around in my handbag without its velveteen pouch for all that time! Too bad because it's refillable and I definitely plan to refill.



 


Photo from Jane Iredale.com



Here's my old compact - the color is Butternut.
 
It is sheer, it doesn't look cakey that is, even immediately after application.  It lived up its claim to act as a concealer - I simply dabbed a bit more over the areas in need.  I was really surprised that it covered the dark spots around my eyes even better than the concealers I've been using, though I still need to use a corrector to cover under eye circles.  No oily spots appeared around my nose around lunchtime (the first place oil appears).  I understand that you have to buff on most mineral foundations and this one comes with a round sponge, but I just dabbed it on with a fluffy foundation brush. It  wore for eight hours. It claims to be water resistant for up to 40 minutes, which I can't verify, but we'll see how it does when it gets really muggy and I begin to "glow" on my way to work!
 
You can purchase the full range of colors, from very light to dark, at Jane Iredale online.  Its color selection is meticulous:  it's broken down into three ranges of Neutral, Warm, and Cool, with light to darker shades included in each one.  (I wear Butternut in the Warm range.)  Nordstrom carries the light to medium colors but doesn't specify which range they come from. 
 
 PurePressed® Base Mineral Foundation also provides broad spectrum SPF 20 and UVA P++  protection (moderate UVA protection).  The Jane Iredale site provides this list of ingredients:
 
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 14%, Zinc Oxide 3%. Ingredients: Mica, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pinus Strobus (Pine) Bark Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides, Ultramarines, Chromium Oxide Greens.

 
I'm fine with this level of sun protection since the Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer I apply under my foundation is SPF 40.  I don't spend a lot of time in the sun, but get some exposure during my daily commute.  After dark spots appeared around my eyes a year or so ago I've been more diligent in my use of sunscreen.  I dab the Iredale powder over the spots if not over my entire face before I leave the office in the evening.   
 
The recently released Australian sunscreen study confirmed that those "white people," to use the New York Times' term, under the age of 55 who "diligently use [SPF15] sunscreen every day can slow or even prevent for a time the development of wrinkles and sagging skin," but was inconclusive about the sun's affects on darker skin, because none were tested.  American doctors interviewed in follow up said that results for darker skin were likely to be the same though the sun's effects take longer to become apparent. 
 
There are other reasons to use sunscreen besides as defense against photo aging:  it is critical in the prevention of skin cancer, which people of color also get. The products I'm testing in an attempt to fade the dark spots around my eyes also advise using sunscreen because the tested areas become even more sun sensitive. 
 
Pink Sith has posted loads of very useful links about sunscreens in a review of Supergoop! SPF 50 Antioxidant-Infused Sunscreen Mist with Vitamin C.  I don't know about you, but I have found the subject of sunscreens confusing because there are so many kinds - some stable some not, some physical some chemical - which is which?  I only recently learned that sunscreens can deteriorate and/or expire.   Expiration dates are printed on the containers.  Check the dates before you buy.
 
Every spring Sephora sells a Sunsafety Kit containing travel-sized sunscreen products (and a bronzer or two) from a variety of companies.  This year's kit included Shiseido, Clarins, Peter Thomas Roth, Tarte, Josie Maran and several others.  I was really pleased that it also included a hand lotion from L'Occitane.  I always forget my hands and décolletage.  The kit sold out immediately this year, but they released a second round last year so keep your eyes open.  Most of the products contain chemical sunscreens - if you have no concerns about them, the kit's a great value and opportunity to try different products. 

What's your spring and summer skincare regime?  How do you fight the "oilies?"  I know I'll have to make adjustments when it get's muggy here!  What's your favorite sunscreen?

 

2 comments:

  1. I know this comment has nothing to do with the topic at hand but I am looking at your nails on instagram? Could you please tell me which base and top coats you use? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, I used Chanel's basecoat and Dior Top Coat, not the Gel Top Coat, the regular one. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...