Thursday, March 27, 2008

"Unikat" Yarn Shop, Frankfurt

Loved Unikat. Another very small shop, only slightly larger than Lana. It's a few blocks away from the Opera, in the other direction from Lana in a tony little neighborhood.

Unikat, Frankfurt

Michelle and I went there 5 times, the first 3 times it was closed. Don't ask why we didn't call first! We finally got our German friend, Beate, to call to find out what the hours were. We were intrigued by what we could see in the windows, particularly a dark gray tank top.

We were delighted when we finally made it when it was open. Unikat is not affiliated with Unikat yarn, made by Zitron. The owner, Claudia Wende, was warm and welcoming and eager to show us what she had. She is one of the friendliest yarn store owners I've ever met. I'd spend a lot time at her shop if I lived in Frankfurt.

Unikat





Unikat

Unikat

Unikat

Unikat

Unikat




Unikat



Unikat



Unikat

Claudia carried lots of brands we recognized, Including some sock yarn and a variety of yarn that we have here, but again I was intrigued by the lines we can't find here. We had to make some painful choices. I took pictures while I procrastinated. I was delighted with that tank made from Lang "Aura," a new release for spring and summer. It's deep gray with a purplish cast. But she only accepted European Union credit cards, so we had to go back when we had cash. That led to visit number five.


'Lang

We got there an hour early. (I really don't know what was wrong with us!) We knit that hour away at a place called the Liquid Lounge.

Liquid, Frankfurt

Liquid Lounge

Liquid Lounge

I love that name. It was late afternoon and there were only a handful of people there. I ordered a capuccino and Michelle got a cup of mint tea.

I bought one skein of Schulana "Trevari." Claudia knits up lots of samples from the yarn she carries so that you can see what they look like. She had a shawl made from Schulana "Trevari," which doesn't like much in the ball, but looks great knit up. I bought one skein, hoping that I could find it somewhere here. No luck yet.

'Schulana

She also had a garment made up from this Katia "Glaciar," but it's a winter yarn and she only had three balls left. I bought them all, perhaps for an obi - just the thing to dress up a work outfit for evening. It's black with a bit of silver running through.

'Katia

She also had a body-skimming dress made up from this Gedifra "Possible." It's a thin black ribbon yarn. She had also worked in a bit of fun fur (yes, Del!) and edged part of it with Katia "Galaxy." It was so elegant. And no, I didn't think to take a picture! Claudia is about 6 feet tall and very slender, so I'm certain it looks fabulous on her.

'Gedifra




'Katia


I was fascinated by this little fastener. Have you all seen any here? I should look at M & J Trimming when I'm in New York again. Or look on line.

Fastener


I bought this Schulana book that has some beautiful patterns and English translations.


Schulana Booklet

It also contains some stitch patterns new to me, and Claudia showed us a few new ones too.


Unikat

She’d ask how to say something in English, then when she’d say it again in German, I knew what she was talking about. Wouldn't that be a novel way to learn German!

12 comments:

  1. Wow another great post... I am really enjoying the pictures from your trip. Seems the Germans know how to equip a shop. It's laid out so nicely. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yarn shops sure do love colors!!

    But I see you stayed with darker color selections this time!

    You are lovin' the bling bling yarn! The 3 balls would be great for an obi!! :o)

    Another great LYS and now I want some mint tea!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful shop. I love those fasteners, too. When I was in Italy, I would see that kind of thing in many types of clothes, jackets, coats, etc. but in the US they are nowhere to be seen, at least in Southern California; maybe it's a climate thing.
    If you find a source, will you post about it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pics really make me want to go to Germany! You don't see shops like that where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot believe I have never heard about the shop "Unikat" - and I am living right here in Frankfurt. I definitely will have to check it out.

    Next time you come to Frankfurt, let me know - so I can tell you about some other lovely yarn stores - hopefully the dollar will be stronger then.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole, Thanks for the offer! I'd love to go on yarn "crawl" in Frankfurt. If you go to Unikat, please say hello to Claudia, and let me know what you buy and plan to make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can say is, "thank you" for sharing the photos of your fan-tabulous trip to Germany! OMG, I can't believe how beautiful the yarn shops were! I mean there were manicans with knitted garments on? Congrats on having the kind of job that would take you to wonderful destinations.

    Yes, both tops I posted photos of on my blog are crocheted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the yarn store info for Frankfurt! I may be going there sometime over the next year, so I will be sure to check out those shops if I do. Hopefully the Euro won't be so strong then either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's the address of the place? Do you have addresses for other yarn shops in Frankfurt?

    I'm going to Frankfurt in June for business, and I want to do a yarn crawl!!!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! Thank you for this posting! I will be in Frankfurt next week and was hoping to go yarn crawling this will be a great help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just moved to Frankfurt and only found one of the 3 shops you went to, now I will be checking out the other 2! I can't wait to check this one out looks like it has lots of good yarn! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...