Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Socks and Gadgets

From this commuting sock project with DPNs piercing the bag:

to this:

I read about this DPN holder in VK, Fall 2006, and ordered it from Woolworks, Ltd. As you can see below the needles are inserted into the tube and closed with a cap.

Now that I have it, I would have been better off with one of those one-piece jobbies - fewer things to lose on the bus or Metro. I didn't expect it to be so rough-hewned.

It looks like an amateur metal worker made it. Nothing against amateur metal workers, but one would expect the holder to be sleeker and show no evidence of soldering.

The sock attached is my Grey's Anatomy KAL Jaywalker. When I reached the toe I realized my stitch count was off and had to frog back to the heel. So much for actually watching Grey's Anatomy and knitting at the same time.

I couldn't resist casting on Cat Bordi's Flow Motion sock from the same VK, Fall 2006. I love the pattern on the instep:
It's slow going because the lace pattern is not memorizable, though there's a certain logic to it. I probably won't even have one done for the end of Socktoberfest.


The real genius of this pattern is the heel flap on this toe-up. You don't have to pick any stitches!

The yarn is April Showers superwash merino from Brooklyn Handspun.

5 comments:

  1. Cool, I was wondering how Cat Bordhi's socks looked (I knew they were "innovative", but I wasn't quite sure what they really looked like!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ava, you have been busy!
    I also noticed those metal cases in VK. Well at least they will keep your needles from being lost or broken.
    The socks seem appropriate for the season and very cute! As they say the grey is new black =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful instep pattern.

    I saw that gadget, too, in the mag & thought it was interesting. I don't know, though--I'll just keep hoping my DPNs don't poke thru my canvas bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was eyeing the Cat Bordhi socks and am now more curious than ever.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...